There’s something about baking bread, any sort, and eating it while it’s still warm that is pure happiness.
Here’s a quick sweet cornbread recipe that’s super easy and yummy. Something that you can quickly throw together and bake in the oven while you start on the rest of the meal. In about 30 minutes it’s all done and ready to serve warm. That being said my family loves eating this warm or room temperature, any which way. My dad loves it in the morning with a cup of warm milk, while the little munchkin just enjoys cramming it in her mouth during family picnics. Me? I love having it next to a hot bowl of chili con carne. Enjoy!
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Cup Cornmeal
- 2 Cup Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 9X13 inch metal pan with oil or butter heavily. Do not use flour or parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, add sugar and stir well.
- In another bowl combine beaten eggs, buttermilk and baking soda.
- Add butter and sugar mixture to bowl, along with cornmeal, flour and salt. Mix just until well blended.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until wood toothpicks comes out clean.
- Serve right away or place pan on cooling rack.
- Unlike other quick breads I don't flour the pan and/or use parchment paper. In this case the hot greased metal pan is crucial for the cooking and crusting of the bread.
- For the little ones I reduce the sugar quite a bit. This doesn't seem to affect consistency nor timing, but every oven is different so baking time may need to be adjusted.
- Great base, so try other variation, add pumpkin puree for the little ones or reduce sugar and add cheese and jalapeño. Adjust baking time as needed.